Sunday, October 18, 2009

New projects

It's been a while since I've posted and the main reasons for this is my family - they came up to visit me these last few weeks which has been nice. Nice, to spend some time with them and also nice to get away from the constant drudgery of work.

But after talking to a very nice man last night, I have been thinking of bigger new projects to start. As I have always written, whether poetry, articles, novellas and novels, I am thinking of writing a book on mythology.

Mythology has always been a big part of my life. Not having a lovely childhood in the neighbourhood that I lived in as a child, these ancient stories gave me a way out of that horrible place. They clamed me down, fascinating and entertaining me all at the same time. I want to do that for someone else.

So, a book on mythology it is. But what aspect? Do I write one for children or adults? Where do I lean towards - Greek, Norse, Chinese, Native American, Mesoamerican, Mesopotamian? Shall I go for places that are not quite well known, like the myths and legends from the Pacific Islands or Africa or Central Asia?

The possibilities are endless! And so are the myths! What should I do?

This is where you come in, my friends! Yes, ha ha ha, you are going to get caught into my sticky little web of mythology.

What I would like is a few suggestions as to what myths and legends YOU would like to know about. After a few suggestions I will then know what direction I should be heading in.

As I was talking to my friend last night, I realised that I had missed writing books (I do write alot of articles but its not the same). This book I intend to write has filled me with excitement. I hope to do the same for you.

Sweet dreams to you all,

The Archaeology Queen.

aka Lian.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Lian,

    Glad that you're thinking of writing on myths. My suggestion would be to study those around people who lived in Manchuria.

    As for acheology, I hope you know of Hongshan Culture in the North of Liadong, North China, part of Manchuria. There was already a civilization back 5000-2000 bc. there.

    Corea (aka Korea) has a long past history in Manchuria. In fact, the Gojoseon which is recored to have started at 2,300 bc was centered around the Hongshan cultural area; Hongshan means 'Red Mountain', btw. Coreans have had their history there in Manchuria until the collapse of Bohai (aka Balhae) in 926ad. Bohai was founded in 698 by people of Mohe (aka Malgal, ancestors of Jurchen, and so of Manchu) and Goguryeo which was destroyed by Tang in 668.

    The area of Manchu (Jurchen, Mohe) history and that of Coreans' are totally overlapping. I suspect they are more or less the same people mostly politically segregated.

    Theory (myth) is that Japanese kingdom also originates in Manchuria, Japanese ancient rulers being Fuyu (Buyeo) kings.

    Mother of Ghingis Khan is also said to be from Jurchen, Manchuria, or Gohri which point to Goryeo (aka Gogyryeo).

    So, the theory (myth) is that Mongols, Manchuria, Corea, and Japan share more or less the same lineage. Especially, Manchu and Coreans have share the land for so many years (a few thousands) that there must be some archeological evidence for that. At least, the two poeple share a lot of myths.. that they orginate from the Blue Head of the Changbai (Baekdu) mountain, the bathing ladies, ...

    It would be exciting to dig into the similarity and difference, if any, of the two ethnic groups Manchu(Jurchen) and Coreans. That (reconstruction of the true history of Manchuria) will cast huge light on the origins of Corea, Japan, and possibly further Mongolia.

    I'm also in this project, yet tough. With your enthusiasm, I sense that you might do the job even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 你好, I stumbled across your writings on 肇庆市。。。but I haven't found a better way to contact you. (Your Helium contact link was down.)

    p.s. I was born in Dudley.

    tom@12GA.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lian, Are you still active here? One of Meenakshis names is 'born of the sea foam'! Tamil greek connections sound interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete