Tuesday, June 14, 2011

New baby has arrived!


Short version – Sebastian Craig Jia Hong Slayford-Wei was born Sunday 5th June weighing 7lb 3 ounces at 9.10pm.

Long version – (very long)

According to Birmingham’s Women’s Hospital I was due on the 19th May although different hospitals gave me different dates (23rd and 28th May) but we had to go by the 19th anyway. So on Tuesday 31st May I went into hospital for my induction.

Tuesday

Got into hospital around 2pm and had pessery inserted – mine was so uncomfortable that I actually screamed! (OK, I’m a wuss) I was one cm dilated already, woo hoo! Contractions started not long after although I barely felt them. Hubby & mum left and I got into pj’s and just relaxed for the evening.

Wednesday

Got pessery checked out around 2pm – still only one cm dilated so back goes in the pessery. They can’t break my waters until I’m at least two cm dilated. I was so upset that I started crying. Hubby thought I was being silly but I couldn’t help it.

At midnight they checked my pessery again and I was only 1.5cm dilated but they said that would OK enough to break my waters. Had to go on a list along with several others to have the same done.

Thursday

Midwives told us on the ward that people who are waiting to go down to the Delivery Ward are put on a list in order of priority and that emergencies – women who go into spontaneous labour or who have poorly babies inside – go before us. So, for those who are not in labour but are overdue, we get to wait around in the wards twiddling our thumbs. Oh what fun.

Thursday night I started having stronger contractions but they died out after an hour and half.

Friday

Was first on the list since they counted that I was 15 days overdue. However, at least 4 emergencies came in so I couldn’t go down, even though the doctor assured me that I was going down. Got really upset and threatened to leave. Refused to eat any more of the hospital food – gross is an understatement.

Saturday –

Now 16 days overdue, the doctors assured me that I was going down to Delivery Suite because it was considered unsafe for me and baby to go any further. However I did not believe that I was going down so it was a surreal feeling when I was actually taken down.

Got examined, had waters broken and had the oxytocin drip set up straightaway. Contractions started thick and fast and I loved the gas and air. I don’t really remember much but I do remember the anaesthetist getting his back up when I started swearing at him when he was doing my epidural. However, the epidural didn’t work.

Sunday

Got a shot of pethidine which I do remember hurt like hell. In the morning my mum came to the hospital. Mum and hubby convinced me to have another epidural which I agreed to. I screamed for my mum whilst that was being done. But at least this one worked and I managed to get some rest.

However, by the afternoon my blood pressure was dropping and fast. I barely remember but I think the doctors mentioned something about a blood transfusion but I can’t be sure. Baby’s heartbeat was dropping as well, plus when they checked how far along I was, guess how far I was … 2 cm!!!!! Sebastian was clearly not coming out and with the blood pressure issue they made the decision to take me in for an emergency caesarean after 28 hours of labour.

I was wheeled into theatre and they got my Little Dragon out. He was 18.5 inches long and weighed 7lb 3 oz. He is simply perfect and has incredibly long fingers and toes! We are now home and I am still in a lot of pain when I get out of bed, but I’m glad to be back at home with my little man.


No comments:

Post a Comment